Images of America: Ashland
Author: James Powers and Terry Baldridge
Resting on the banks of the Ohio River, Ashland is eastern Kentucky’s largest city. After the Poage family settled on the land between Hoods and Keys Creeks in Boyd County, the area came to be known as the Poage’s Settlement. Before long, a small town began to take form in the early 1800s with the establishment of a church, gristmill, sawmill, and homes built near Hoods Creek. In 1847, the townspeople built their first post office, and the Lexington and Big Sandy Railroad laid tracks through town, opening the area for even greater development. Named for the estate of Kentuckian Henry Clay, the city of Ashland was made official by an act of legislature in 1856.
Author James Powers is a lifelong resident of Ashland and president of the Boyd County Historical Society. He and his coauthor, Terry Baldridge, tell the history of Ashland through vintage photographs and rare amassed from the community, personal collections, and private archives.